Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Awkward Years // Thinks That I Don't Understand

To be honest, I'm pretty much in the bumpiest seat of the struggle bus right now as far as an intro to this post is concerned.  You know, that seat right over the back wheel where there's not enough leg room and you can feel every pothole and the giant, hot bus seems to be constantly swerving?  Yep, that one.  It's kind of hard to write an introduction to a blog post from that position.  So I'm not going to try.  Wait, what's this? Words that come before the main body of my post?  An introduction, perhaps? Cool.

So, the struggle bus I'm on right now is feeling awfully similar to one I rode about five years ago during my awkward stage, when I was young and had no idea what I was doing with anything.  (At least, I think that was my awkward stage.  Hopefully I don't look back at this time five years from now and thing, "Wow, I was awkward.")   Let's talk about that other struggle bus, and all the stuff that happened on it that just doesn't make sense.   It's feeling like a struggle bus kind of day.

The vocabulary.  Which included heavy doses of "lyke" and "mi" and "coolio", because I was a hipster.  Maybe that's one of those trying to find your identity things.  It's sad that I thought I had to be grammatically divergent to be my own person, but it's okay.  I figured it out.

My affinity for all things zebra print, neon, or slightly edgy. I was all over it. I have since realized that I'm not a zebra, neon usually looks better on signs, and I'm not edgy in the least, nor do I want to be.

My obsession with Taylor Swift.  However, upon further review, I've decided that I'm totally okay with that.  Old Taylor was a thirteen-year-old girl's best friend.  Heck, I can still belt You Belong With Me with the best of them.

The fact that I never once realized how easy school was at the time.  I had no idea that the years were fast approaching when I'd have to do homework ever day, and that it would be hard, and that my grades would have a direct effect on the rest of my life.  Ignorance definitely is bliss.

The way that my make up had to match my outfit every single day.  My mom started letting me wear make up in seventh grade, and I used that to my full advantage.  Granted, I don't think anyone else could tell what I was doing, but it was a big deal to me.

Makes you grimace a little, huh?  Don't get me wrong, though.  As much as I make fun of Awkward Allie, I really like her.  She was kind of fun, she definitely didn't care what people thought, and she makes me feel like I've made progress in the last few years.  If you think that was rough, though, you should see my Facebook from the same time period.

Linking up with Juliette, Faith, and Allie to share my awkward self with the blogging world.


Love, 
Allie

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I think we have all been through (many of) those awkward stages in life and I'll bet you that the person you are in 5 years WILL look back on the person you are now and make you go, hmmm but that's normal :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one:) Probably so - I won't try to avoid it!

      Delete

I love hearing from you - it's my favorite part of blogging - and I'll respond to every single comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...