Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It's a Good Day When // 28 Things That Make Me Smile

So, it turns out that the things that you learn in school actually are helpful for real life.  Who knew, right?


I'm taking my first psychology class ever this year (and absolutely loving it,  nerd alert).  We're currently learning about memory in there, and I happen to think that it's really, really fascinating, (nerd alert: code red*) especially this weird thing that tends to happen to the things that we remember.  When we think back on a given day, the emotional high or low point tends to color the way that we remember the entire period - that's why throwing up on a ride at the fair causes you to remember the whole experience as a disaster even though you actually loved every other second, or the one nice thing that a person said to you on a first date can make it seem like the entire date was good, even though it was actually a little on the awkward side. 


 It's this phenomenon that explains why small things have the ability to "make our day."  When our teacher first explained all that to us, I was a little disappointed that my memory was so dishonest.  However, the sneaky, manipulative part of me quickly realized that I could work that in my favor.  It only takes one little good thing to make a whole day seem great, so I'm going to take advantage of that!  I'll listen to a song that I can really belt or take the time to make myself a food that I really like or find a way to trick a stranger into complementing me, and - BOOM - instant good day! 

For example, making cookies.  I love making cookies. If we're being honest, I think it's mostly because I get to eat them later, but I sometimes share.  I just made a huuuugggeee batch of no bakes yesterday, and if you made my day I might be persuaded to ship you one or several. Here, have some ideas to get you started.  It's a good day when . . .

// The Target dollar section is 70% off.  Yes, that is a real thing, and, yes, it's as amazing as it sounds. 


// A stranger complements me.  Next time you see a stranger with extremely white teeth or really cool earbuds and you notice, YOU TELL THEM and tell them I sent you.


// My current most favorite song of all times is on the radio.  And then it's on again on another station, immediately afterwards and so I never have to stop listening to it for five minutes.


// Someone makes me breakfast in bed.  Or in any location, really. My little sister has been really good about doing this for me for most of my birthdays since she's been able to pour cereal, and I don't want to say that I love her more because of it but my taste buds beg to differ.



// I feel like I have my life together.  This feeling doesn't occur often for me, but when it does, it's one of the best things ever. 


// I laugh at something until I cry. (Every day.)


// I nail a joke and it makes someone else laugh until they cry. (Sometimes On occasion very rarely)


// School gets called off for -12 degree weather and I get to bury myself back under alllll the blankets. 

// Someone follows me on Bloglovin.  (Shameless advertising? Perhaps.  But, TBH it genuinely does make my day.  If you don't care what I have to say, though, don't follow me, because Bloglovin' tells me when people unfollow me and I try not to let it bother me but it does the opposite of making my day.)

//  I wake up and my room is really clean and I didn't even clean it. It's never happened to me, but if it did I would be happy for at least a week. (Hey, mom!)

// I find out someone else's favorite something is the same as my favorite something.  I'm pretty sure that the day I found another person who's favorite color was yellow I almost cried.

// I don't have plans on a Saturday morning and have enough time to sleep in, make a fancy breakfast, do my devotion, work out, shower, and actually try in regards to my hair and makeup before going anywhere.  More often, I have enough time before I leave for school to kind of brush my hair, make sure I have clothing covering all of the necessary places (that makes it sound like I dress like a slut but I don't because DRESSCODE and MORALS), and eat breakfast in the car.

// The sun is shining.



// Friends is on TV right when I need it to be.  (AKA, while doing homework.)

// My whole entire family is home on the same night and we play cards and laugh and act like our usual happy, harmonious selves. (and I win.)

// I get to wear my rain boots.



// Someone gives me a free drink card for Starbucks.

// Anything that is a positive surprise happens.  Positive as in good, not as in absolute.  Please do not surprise me with the news that my dog died and expect me to be happy about it.  That's sick.

From my surprise 16th birthday party. See, I like it! 


// I accidentally discover something cool before everyone else and get to tell all of my friends about it and be a hipster.

// I do strenuous physical activity and don't feel like I'm going to die.

// It's a good hair day.



// I wear tights that actually stay on without falling off or riding up when I walk. (I.e., not today.)

// Someone brings surprise food to a class or to lunch or anytime during school. 

// Along those lines, when my friend offers to trade frosting with me so that I can eat a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting, that's a good day.  Why do store bought cupcakes think the cake and frosting have to match?  They don't.

// I get snail mail from an actual person with actual handwriting on it.  My grandparents do birthday cards right - they write a TON of words on them - and it's the best! 

// Someone that I like gets really good news.  I'm not even trying so sound like a nice, sensitive person, because I'm actually not.  For some reason, things like that just warm my heart. 

// I accidentally get home late because of having fun.  (Except the time when I backed into a pole and cracked the back bumper in the process.) 

// It's Friday and I get my weekly Diet Coke fix after school.  It always tastes so, so good, but I can really stop anytime I want. 

On reviewing this list, I'm noticing that most of my favorites have something to do with food or surprises, so any combination of the two should guarantee you a no bake cookie or five.

Allie

P.S. What makes it a good day in your book?


*The most extreme level of nerd alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - it's my favorite part of blogging - and I'll respond to every single comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...